William Nicoll Junior worked from Great Portland Street from 1790-1825. This lovely clock is an 8 day duration double fusee with repeat example of the highest quality. Pad top to the top with carrying handle,'fishscale' brass fretwork to front and sides of case. Lovely flame mahogany veneers and amazing colour and patination to case. Round convex white dial. Fine quality movement striking the hours on a single bell. Nice pendulum engraved scale and backplate also finely engraved, as is pendulum bob.A lovely collectors clock.
Probably the finest Barwise of Cockermouth longcase clock I have ever had the pleasure of seeing or owning. This sublime example has a good quality 8 day movement. The delightful arched brass dial with 'cherub head' spandrels and chapter ring with engraved divisions to the inner ring for the rare centre date feature. The dial centre superbly engraved and finely matted with ringed winding holes and the makers name engraved to a silvered cartouche to the centre.Subsidiary seconds feature and centre date hand also to dial centre.Finely painted moon feature to the arch, with age of moon indicator.The amazing quality flame veneered mahogany cabinet with swan neck pediments to the hood surmounted with lovely wooden paterae and dentil cornice below.Very typical of the Cumberland area jut out moulding under the swan neck pediments to either side. Fine reeded hood columns. Long matched flame cross-banded trunk door with shaped top. Quarter reeded columns to the side of case and further dentil cornice work to the top of the moulding under the hood. Shaped cross-banded panel to the base and the base with chamfered sides. The overall clock standing on 'OG' feet.Clock-making in Cockermouth was dominated by just a few families. It is a fact that just four makers made well over 90% of the clocks in the town. The Gandys, Thompsons, but above all the Barwise, Mitchell and Metcalf family.These clock-makers produced clocks of distinction.Lot Barwise was born in 1726 and he left home for Cockermouth in 1750.His son John who eventually left to setup the famous Barwise of London connection was born in 1755.He eventually went to London was married there in 1790. He found a premises in St.Martin's Lane. John Barwise took his sons into partnership from 1819 to 1823 setting up Barwise and Sons. Clearly Lot trained John up in the trade of clockmaking. The exquisite workmanship is shown on this clock, and it is made when his son John would of been watching and learning from Lot directly.The clock is signed just Barwise, even probably at a young age I imagine John may have helped to some degree.A wonderful collector's clock in superb restored condition.
A WWII RAF SECTOR CLOCK BY F W ELLIOTT LTD, 1941 the painted dial with three colour five minute segments(RED,YELLOW AND BLUE)and RAF insignia.Single train fusee 8 day duration movement.Cast brass bezel.MADE BY F W ELLIOTT ENGLAND 1941.
One of the finest clocks of its type we have seen. The French ornate style mixed with the workmanship and quality of superb London makers. Lovely shaped plates to the high quality signed fusee movement. Tortoiseshell and brass gilt decorated cabinet of the highest quality. Porcelain numerals and lovely decorated brass dial. Shaped brass surround for front door and side windows. Decorated head to the pendulum,and lovely cupid to the top of the clock. Tupman were a celebrated family of clockmakers and retailers during the majority of the 19th century in London. James Tupman was based at 44 Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury between 1816-19, No.67 in 1820, No. 31 in 1822-42 and again from 1845 to 1856. He was likely to be the brother of George Tupman and most likely worked together as this clock is signed just Tupman. G.and H.Tupman were Watch and Clock Makers To H.R.H. The Duchess of Kent & The Royal Family.
24 inch dial Lunds Patent 41 Cornhill London numbered 4092 Synchronized dial fusee wall clock. Amazing super large wall clock with mahogany cabinet. Having now researched to see what the hole is to the top of the dial, it used to be a mechanism for accurately setting the time to the hour, For historical and technical details of the Lund system, see The Horological Journal for April 1878, pp.105/107 and an advertisement on page iv. of that issue, placed by Barraud & Lund. Greenwich National Maritime Museum have one in their collection. In 1876 Lund took out patent no.3924 for a forcible correction of the minute hand of key-wound secondary clocks.This is a very rare clock and of 8 day duration. C1880
Thomas Andrews of Dover 8 day duration flame mahogany veneered Longcase clock with superb engraved silvered dial with seconds and calendar features. The arch with an amazing rocking pierced painted ship automaton. To the rear of the ship a finely painted coastal scene of the 18th century. The cabinet of superb quality and of high quality London design. Dome top, reeded hood columns with brass capitals, long trunk door with moulding surround. Two plinths to the base and fine elegant moulding to base panel. Biography Thomas Andrews is recorded as working in Dover between circa 1773 and 1802.